ACTIVE PARTICIPATION OF THE POLE EAU DE DAKAR IN THE SECOND STAKEHOLDERS' MEETING OF THE 9TH WORLD WATER FORUM
On 14 and 15 October 2021, the 2nd Stakeholders’ Meeting of the 9th World Water Forum (9WF) was held at the Abdou Diouf International Conference Centre (CICAD) in Diamniadio. The general objective of this meeting was to deliberate on the work and proposals of the working groups and to provide significant contributions for the elaboration of the roadmap of the Forum by the International Steering Committee of the said Forum.
Following the program, four (04) sessions in the form of thematic working groups were organized in parallel during the two days of the meeting.
- “Water and Sanitation Security”: in this session, our group worked on the topic: Protecting and restoring ecosystems and forests, including coastal and marine areas, and combating desertification.
The objective was to propose new actions or solutions to the Heads of State, Governments (Ministers), National Assembly, Local Authorities and Basin Organizations, in order to better protect the resource. At the end of the work, the rapporteurs presented the work of each group.
- “Tools and means” (Finance-Governance and Innovation): This session followed the same logic as the previous one, but proposed new suggestions on new financing, regulatory laws and innovations for better water resources management.
In fact, the 9FME is intended to be a Forum of answers. Thus, the closing of the meeting was marked by the main lines resulting from the work of the various stakeholder sessions addressed to the authorities, including:
- Ensuring a firm political will to achieve SDG 6;
- Translate the commitment of the Heads of State into programs;
- Voting of laws by parliamentarians and ensuring their implementation;
- Valorize the resource by working for peace in the Basin Organizations;
- Take into consideration the vulnerability of the resource (to climate change, drought…) but also as a source of adaptation;
- Adaptation, resilience, safeguarding of the resource based on sound policies, better governance and production of the water resource to meet human and ecosystem needs;
- Taking into account common infrastructures and integrating groundwater in Basin Organizations;
- Valorize non-conventional water resources (wastewater, rainwater…)
- Increase the means of financing in the water sector;
- Implementing concrete actions through different projects taking into account local knowledge and priorities;
- Better involvement of stakeholders, multi-level responsibility.